Plymouth Sound is the perfect location to enjoy being out on the water. Whether you’d like to go for a swim or explore the sound by stand up paddle boarding or kayaking, it’s very important to stay safe by following some simple guidance.
Top tips to enjoy the water safely
- Know the basics of swimming, and always swim within your capabilities.
- Bring a friend so you’re not alone.
- Wear brightly coloured swim cap and use a tow float, and a buoyancy aid and leash during paddle boarding.
- Consider wearing a wetsuit.
- Be aware of strong tidal currents.
- Be aware of where you can swim.
Finally, if in doubt do not go out! It does not matter how prepared or experienced you are, if in doubt do not go out. There is no shame in leaving the water straight away or not going in.
“In the past Plymouth launched many great voyages that changed the history of the world. It is my hope that, in the future, people will look back at Plymouth as the ocean innovator that set the standard for National Marine Parks in Britain and across the globe.”Lewis Pugh, UN Patron of the Oceans and Ambassador of Plymouth Sound National Marine Park